The HMR Diet is a popular 30+ year-old weight loss and weight management program that is designed to teach dieters how to reduce their calories and maintain this new way of eating for the long term.
Dieters doing the HMR Program as directed typically lose 1-2 pounds a week.
It was originally developed by Lawrence Stifler, a behavioral psychologist for use in medical institutions as well as the HMR Clinics which he established.
Although there are over 200 medical facilities around the country that offer the HMR Clinic Program, all dieters can now benefit from the success HMR offers by now participating in the program from the comfort of their own homes.
The HMR Program at Home in a Nutshell
The 3 basic tenets of HMR are to provide a simple plan that’s easy to follow, group coaching and support over the phone, and long-term weight management strategies that can be used for the rest of one’s life.
The HMR Diet itself consists of two phases with the initial phase being designed to produce rapid results while the second phase is designed to promote long-term success and healthier lifestyle choices.
The crux of HMR phase one involves using HMR’s line of meal replacement products. Research has shown that meal replacement products are an effective method for reducing calorie consumption and thus encouraging weight loss.
Phase one requires that dieters only consume these products along with their own fruits and vegetables.
Here’s how it works.
- HMR Participants will receive all of their packaged meals and snacks directly to their place of residence.
- Each day dieters will consume 3 or more HMR Shakes, 2 or more HMR Meals, and 5 or more servings of fresh fruits and vegetables.*
- All HMR food is heat to eat or mix and serve.
- Participants are free to eat as many of the shakes, meals, vegetables as they need to in order to feel satisfied and full.
- Eating out is prohibited during this phase.
- Drinking alcohol and other calorific drinks are also prohibited.
- Participants should strive to burn at least 2000 calorie each week through exercise.
- Weekly phone check-ins with HMR professionals are required.
- Dieters continue phase one until their goal weight is reached.
*HMR says that up to 10 shakes can be consumed per day and still allow for weight loss.
Once participants reach their goal weight, they will transition to phase 2 which is designed to help them add regular food back into their diets but in a way that promotes weight management.
Here’s how phase 2 works.
- Dieters begin reducing the number of HMR meals and snacks they use each day.
- Participants will still consume 14 packaged products each week.
- At least 5 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables will still be consumed each day.
- For the additional meals, dieters will be taught how to use lean proteins and whole grains in low-calorie meals.
- Participants will be taught how to cook in a healthier, low-calorie way.
- Dieters can eat out and will be taught how to make wise choices when doing so.
- Dieters will still check in weekly with their HMR professional.
- Phase 2 lasts 4-8 weeks.
The HMR at Home Program ranges between 1200 and 1400 calories per day and uses the following foods, most of which are provided by HMR.
HMR offers four different formulations of meal replacement shakes in both chocolate and vanilla flavors. Dieters may also incorporate their own fresh fruit to make the shakes even more nutritious and flavorful. A lactose-free option is also available.
HMR currently offers 15 heat and serve entree options. Participants should add their own fresh vegetables to them to complete the meal and to satisfy their daily vegetable requirement.
|Lasagna with Meat Sauce||Beef Stroganoff with Noodles||Turkey Chili with Beans|
|Chicken Pasta Parmesan||Vegetable Stew with Beef||Cheese & Basil Ravioli|
|BBQ Chicken with Rice & Beans||Savory Chicken||Mushroom Risotto|
|Steak Strips with Red Potatoes||Pasta Fagioli||Chicken Creole with Brown Rice|
|Bean and Beef Enchiladas||Five-Bean Casserole||Vegetarian Thai Curry|
Snacks and Other Foods
In addition to the shakes and entrees, HMR offers a hot breakfast cereal, a soup, and 4 snack bar options.
Fruits and Vegetables
Dieters following the HMR will have to purchase their own fresh fruits and vegetables in order to satisfy their at least 5 servings a day requirement.
Sample Meal Plan
The following meal plan is an example of what someone would expect to eat during phase 1 of the diet.
|BreakfastVanilla HMR 800 Shake
|Morning SnackChocolate Peanut Butter Flavored Crunch Bar
|LunchTurkey Chili with beans
Side garden salad with low-calorie dressing
|Afternoon SnackChocolate HMR 120 Shake|
|DinnerChicken with BBQ Sauce
Rice & Beans
Costs and Expenses
HMR has several different options both for in-clinic and in-home.
The In-home option described above will cost $199.95 for the first 3 weeks and includes:
- 48 servings of HMR 120 Shake mix
- 42 assorted HMR Entrees
- 18 servings of HMR Multigrain Hot Cereal
- 1 packet of HMR 70 Plus Pudding/Shake mix to sample
- HMR Recipe Book
- Support Guides
- HMR Mobile App
- Weekly group coaching by phone
After the initial 3-week shipment, participants will be sent food every 2 weeks for $180.00.