A healthy snack on game day or an easy dinner, what could be better than a plate of nachos! You can make the rutabaga chips and seasoned nacho meat ahead of time so they’re on hand when the mood strikes you. Loaded with meat and vegetables, these nachos will satisfy even the heartiest of appetites.
The total cooking time for this recipe should be around 40 minutes. You can prepare the seasoned nacho meat while the rutabaga chips are baking. If you make extra chips, just remember to store them in a paper bag and they will stay crisp much longer. Enjoy!
Nachos With Rutabaga Chips
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
MAKING THE RUTABAGA CHIPS
- 3 large rutabaga, peeled and sliced
- 3 Tbsp. oil, such as olive or coconut (melted)
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Peel rutabagas, then with a sharp knife or mandoline, slice thinly. In a large mixing bowl, add rutabaga slices and oil, toss to coat evenly.
- Spread slices in a single layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet, sprinkle with salt. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, flipping halfway to ensure even browning. Repeat with remaining rutabaga slices.
- Transfer rutabaga chips to paper toweling to absorb excess oil. Chips will continue to crisp as they cool.
MAKING THE SEASONED NACHO MEAT
- ½ Tbsp. oil, such as olive or coconut
- 1 pound ground meat, such as beef, bison or turkey
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsps. onion powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add ground meat and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up meat.
- Add chili powder, onion powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, paprika, dried oregano and salt, stir to combine.
- Add water, bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove meat from heat.
MAKING THE NACHOS
- Rutabaga chips (see above)
- Seasoned nacho meat (see above)
- Red pepper, seeded and diced
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Green onion, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro, minced
- Plain yogurt
- Place a layer of rutabaga chips on a plate. Spoon on seasoned meat mixture, top with guacamole and plain yogurt, then garnish with diced red pepper, sliced red and green onion and fresh minced cilantro.